If you believe that, due to your family's financial situation or other special circumstances, the Financial Aid Office should reevaluate your financial aid award, you may file a financial aid award appeal. Before submitting an award appeal, please review the information below, regarding types of appeals, the potential outcomes, and the appeal process and timelines.
A financial aid award appeal is a formal request to the Financial Aid Office to reconsider or reevaluate your and/ or your family’s financial concerns or other special circumstances that may have an impact on your financial aid award. If you believe that you or your family's circumstances may allow you to submit an appeal, please access and review the following appeal qualification information within this section
- Types of Appeals and How to Apply
- Examples of Circumstances that May Be Considered
- Examples of Circumstances that May Not Be Considered
Potential Appeal Outcomes
Your Financial Aid Award will include the maximum federal, state, and institutional aid for which you are eligible. We cannot guarantee that the submission of an appeal will result in an increase to your aid award. Even if approved, an appeal may result only in revisions to federal or state aid programs.
Appeal Process and Timelines
Families who are aware that they have circumstances that can be appealed (see Types of Appeals) are encouraged to submit the appeal and supporting documentation as early as possible, in order to receive a decision as early as possible, in order to receive a decision prior to the commitment deposit deadline that corresponds to their admission period.
You may submit an appeal for special circumstances prior to your receiving your LMU financial aid award. However, we will not notify you of the appeal decision prior to the formal notification of your financial aid award.
- Spring 2020 – decisions will be provided 10 to 15 business days after all required supporting documentation has been received.
- 2020-2021 Early Decision Freshmen – appeals filed prior to the Early Decision deposit deadline will be given expedited review during early January.
- 2020-2021 Early Action Freshmen – decisions will be provided 10 to 15 business days after all required supporting documentation has been received.
- 2020-2021 Regular Decision Freshmen – will be notified after April 20 and prior to the May 1st commitment deadline if appeal and all supporting documents are received prior to April 17, 2020.
- 2020-2021 Transfer Students – decisions will be provided 10 to 15 business days after all required supporting documentation has been received, and only after the communication of the financial aid award.
- 2020-2021 Continuing Undergraduates - decisions will be provided 10 to 15 business days after all required documentation has been received. Appeal decisions will not be communicated until after continuing student financial aid awards are released beginning in April.
Please Note: During a review of the appeal, we may request additional documentation that will assist us in determining eligibility for additional aid. This may include documentation required for Federal Verification. If additional documents are needed, a notification will be posted on the student's PROWL account and the additional requirements will be posted as missing requirements. For prospective students prior to May 1st, a notification will be posted and missing requirements will be requested via the Application Status Page.
The appeal decision will be communicated via a notification on the student’s PROWL accounts (or, for prospective students, the Application Status Page), as well as a more detailed letter emailed to the parent and/ or student.
Appeal Not Processed by the Financial Aid Office
Please note that appeals related to the Cal Grant are not processed by the Financial Aid Office and must be addressed to the California Student Aid Commission. Please visit the Cal Grant Appeals website for more information.