Federal and state regulations do not allow students to receive aid that exceeds their financial eligibility for need-based aid programs or to receive total aid that exceeds the school's estimated cost of attendance.

An over-award can occur in the following situations:

  • Your housing status changes from on-campus or off-campus to "living with parents"
  • LMU Financial Aid is made aware of resources not considered when your financial aid award was determined, such as outside scholarships, grants, stipends, third-party fee payments, etc...)
  • You become eligible for a new scholarship or grant
  • Your family contribution increases as a result of corrections made to your Free Application for Federal Student Aid or from other documents submitted to LMU Financial Aid
  • You change your enrollment status to less than full-time enrollment
  • Human error in calculation or data entry of a financial aid award(s) additional aid awarded after initial award notification

If an over-award occurs, LMU Financial Aid is required to resolve it which may result in students having to repay aid for which they are determined to be ineligible.

What happens once I have earned my Work-Study allocation?

Students are responsible for ensuring that they do not earn over their work-study allocation. A collaborative effort should be made by both the student and the employer to track earnings. Students and employers can monitor their remaining work eligibility in Workday. Click on the “Banks” tab to review how much you have been offered and how much remains for use. Students may not work beyond their work-study allocation. When a student finds they are getting close to earning their total work-study allocation, they should contact their supervisor to ensure they are aware. However, once the full work-study allocation is earned, the student must stop working unless arrangements can be made directly through the supervisor.