Verification is a process of checking the accuracy of the information submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). During this process, LMU Financial Aid is required to collect certain documents to verify the information reported on the FAFSA is correct.
If the information submitted for verification conflicts with the information reported on the FAFSA, LMU is obligated to make corrections to the student’s FAFSA before financial aid eligibility can be accurately determined and funds awarded.
Who is required to complete federal verification?
Most students selected for verification have been randomly selected by the U.S. Department of Education’s Federal Processor. However, there are other potential reasons for being selected for verification:
- The submitted FAFSA application had incomplete data.
- The data on the FAFSA application appears to have contradicting data.
- The FAFSA application has estimated information.
- LMU Financial Aid may select students for federal verification in connection with the review of an appeal.
It is required that you complete federal verification to receive the following: All federal financial aid (Pell, FSEOG Grants, Work-Study), all Cal Grants or other state-funded financial aid, LMU Grant, LMU Need-Based Scholarships, or LMU Institutional Loans.
The links below provide details on what is required to complete federal verification.
How to complete Federal Verification?
The items that you are required to verify will be posted as missing requirements on your financial aid PROWL account. Most students selected for verification will be required to submit student and parent federal tax information.
For 2023-2024, if selected for verification, and taxes required, student and parent 2021 federal tax data is required.
How do I submit student and parent federal tax data?
For additional information on submitting tax data to LMU visit Submitting Your Tax Data.
When must I complete federal verification requirements?
|Entering First-Year and Transfer Students|
|Continuing Undergraduate and Post Baccalaureate Students|
What if I DO NOT supply the verification documentation?
Consequences for NOT Submitting Verification Documents
Entering First-Year or Transfer Students
Those who have not submitted federal verification requirements by August 18, 2023 will have all federal, state and need-based institutional financial aid canceled.
You will then need to make alternate payment arrangements with LMU's Student Accounts Department.
Continuing Undergraduate or Post Baccalaureate Students
Continuing Undergraduate students are not provided with a financial aid award until verification has been completed.
Those who have not submitted federal verification requirements by August 18, 2023 will then need to make alternate payment arrangements with LMU's Student Accounts Department.
What happens after I submit all the required documentation?
1. We compare that information to you provided for verification with your FAFSA.
2. If no changes occur during our review, we will also post a message to your PROWL account notifying you that the federal verification process is complete.
3. If any discrepancies are found, we will update your FAFSA information in our system with the information provided on your verification documents. Your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) may change and we will determine whether the change to your EFC requires that we revise your financial aid award. This review process takes 7-10 business days after receipt of all verification documents.
4. If your revised EFC changes your financial aid eligibility, we are required to revise your financial aid award, we will do so and post a message to your PROWL account.
5. If financial aid has been disbursed for which you are no longer eligible, these funds will be reversed from your student account and we will post a message to your PROWL account.
6. If certain funds for which you are no longer eligible have been refunded to you, we will report these funds as an "overpayment" to the Department of Education, and you will be responsible for repaying these funds before you can receive further financial aid.
7. We correct your FAFSA from the information you provided for verification. Do not make further corrections or changes to your FAFSA while verification is pending, and once verification has been completed.