Required Undergraduate Enrollment

Any undergraduate student carrying 12 or more semester hours in the Fall or Spring semester or 12 or more semester hours in the combined Summer I and II Sessions is considered a full-time student. Students carrying fewer than 12 semester hours are classified as part-time students for financial aid. 

Full–time enrollment  (12+ units) is required to receive:

  • LMU Grants
  • Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) 
  • Trustee Scholarships 
  • Trustee Room and Board Scholarships
  • Presidential Scholarships
  • Jesuit and Marymount High School Scholarships
  • Leadership Scholarships
  • Need-Based Scholarships
  • LMU California Student Loans
  • Burns Student Loans

Students can receive the following awards when enrolled three-quarter time (9-11 units) or half-time (6-8 units):

  • Athletic Awards (with athletic department approval) 
  • Federal Pell Grant (the amount is prorated based on enrollment) 
  • Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Stafford Loan
  • Federal Work-Study
  • Loyola Work
  • Cal Grant (amount prorated based on enrollment)

Required Graduate Enrollment

A graduate student is considered full-time when carrying 6 or more semester hours in 600, 5000, 6000, and 7000 numbered graduate-level courses.  For those graduate programs which require enrollment over 6 units per semester, financial aid will consider the required enrollment of your program when determining whether a student is making satisfactory academic progress to receive financial aid.   

Graduate students may be considered for institutional aid as full-time or part-time enrollment.   Eligibility for federal and state programs requires at least half-time enrollment.

Repeat Coursework

A student who receives federal financial aid (Title IV funds) must follow Repeat Coursework rules in order to be considered as meeting enrollment requirements for financial aid eligibility and satisfactory academic progress. The federal regulations are listed below:

  • A student may repeat a previously passed course once.
  • A student may repeat a failed course until the student passes the course.
  • A student, who passes a course but does not meet the grade requirement established by the college or school, may only repeat the course one time.
  • A student who earns a passing grade in a course and chooses to retake the course a second time earning a grade of “F” or “W” may not take the course a third time.
  • A student may repeat a course as an independent study, special topics, film genre, etc., as long as the subject matter is different for each course and the institution awards new credit each time.