Over 2,600 students are employed at LMU and work on and off-campus in a variety of jobs. In most cases, students must apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) in order to receive an award to allow them to work on campus. This work award is considered a form of financial aid. The following information is a summary of the different work awards and their requirements.

What is Work-Study?

All work-study is a work-to-earn program. The amount of work-study awarded to you is the maximum amount you are eligible to earn in wages through your work-study position. Work-study amounts are awarded each year after students complete the FAFSA. Work-study awards, unlike other types of financial aid, are not automatically applied to your student account. For this reason, it will not reduce your balance from the Student Accounts Department. However, any wages you earn can certainly be used to pay for tuition, books, supplies and other items. You can request your paycheck from your work-study position to be applied directly to your student account by contacting Payroll Services. Be aware that different universities may offer different amounts and types of work-study. Students will not be penalized if they do not earn the full amount of their work-study award. It is simply the means to work on campus to assist students with expenses.  

What happens once I have earned my Work-Study allocation?

Students are responsible for ensuring that they do not earn over their work-study allocation. A collaborative effort should be made by both the student and the employer to track earnings.  Students may not work beyond their work-study allocation. When a student finds they are getting close to earning their total work-study allocation, they should contact their supervisor to ensure they are aware. However, once the full work-study allocation is earned, the student must stop working unless arrangements can be made directly through the supervisor.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) 

FWS is a need-based federal funded work award that allows recipients to work on-campus during the academic year and earn up to the amount of their award. Federal work-study is offered up to $3,500 for the academic year. Students apply to work during the summer by completing the Summer Financial Aid application which is made available in the spring. Pay rates vary depending on the skill level required for the position. It is the student's responsibility to locate a position on campus. On average, students work 6-8 hours per week but are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week.

LMU Non-Need Based Work-Study (LMU Work)

LMU Work is a non-need based LMU funded award that allows recipients to work on-campus during the academic year and earn the amount of their award. To be considered students must have completed the FAFSA and not qualify for Federal Work-Study. Awards are offered for up to $2,000 per year, as funding permits.

How to Find a Job to earn your Work Award

Recipients can find a job using a resource called "Workday" through Student Employment Services. Their website can also give you more information about working at LMU as a student.

What types of positions are available for Federal Work Study?

Positions include on-campus departmental work and off-campus work study opportunities.  Positions with Campus Ministry or the Phone-a-Thon are not eligible for Federal Work Study (FWS) funds, but Federal Work Study recipients can request to replace their FWS with LMU Work which can be used for Campus Ministry and Phone-a-Thon positions.

How are work-study positions paid?

Students are paid by paycheck or students may sign up to have their earnings paid to a bank account through direct deposit.  Check out the Student Employment Services website for payment information.

Benefits of Working on Campus

  • Working on campus allows you to earn money to assist with educational expenses.
  • Working reduces the need for student loans.
  • Working on campus provides flexible hours, as employers understand that school comes first and will work around your class and study schedules.
  • Many jobs are office positions that will provide you with work experience which you can include on your resume.

Responsibilities of Working on Campus

  • Notify LMU Financial Aid of enrollment changes that may affect your eligibility for a work award.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • Keep track of your hours so that you do not earn more than your work award. Your employer will be responsible for 100% of any wages earned in excess of your work award.
  • Notify your supervisor of changes to your work award.
  • Report ready to work at the scheduled time.
  • Dress appropriately for the workplace.
  • Complete duties and not conduct personal business while at work.
  • Work with a cooperative and positive attitude.
  • Notify the supervisor as soon as possible of any changes in the work schedule and of projects and exams which may interfere with the work schedule.
  • Submit the completed time-card/time-sheet and/or complete and submit an electronic time-sheet to the supervisor on time.
  • Adhere to any confidentiality/security agreements set forth by the employer.
  • Notify each supervisor if employed in more than one position on campus.
  • Notify supervisor of any job-related accident.

Tax and FAFSA Implications

All earning from work are considered taxable income. This includes LMU's non-need based work, need-based Federal Work-Study, and work that is paid via a department's budget and not processed through LMU Financial Aid . You will need to determine whether you are required to file a federal or state tax return based on your total earnings from all sources in the prior year. For more information regarding federal taxes, click here. For California state tax information, click here, or visit the website for your state of residency.

If you earn "Federal College Work-Study," report your Federal College Work-Study earning from your LMU W2, along with other earnings you received in the calendar year, on the FAFSA as "Student Wages." Only report your "Federal College Work-Study" earnings for the FAFSA question: "Taxable earnings from need-based employment programs, such as Federal Work-Study and need-based employment portions of fellowships and assistantships."  LMU funded work and earnings paid to you from a department's budget are NOT to be reported in this question. If you have another type of work that you are not sure is need or non-need based, contact LMU Financial Aid for Assistance.