Veterans, AmeriCorps & Tuition Benefits

Additional financial aid options exist for specific populations in other forms such as tuition waivers, discounts, and other alternative aid types. Eligibility requirements are varied as are application requirements and processes.

For more information on other institutional, state and federal aid programs, please access the information included within this section, and please Email Us directly if you would like additional support. 


  • The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is not required to receive veteran’s benefits or for the Yellow Ribbon program. However, as a veteran you may also apply for other forms of financial aid like loans.

    If you are a recipient of Veteran's Benefits, you are responsible for submitting any enrollment verification documents required by the VA to LMU Loyola Law School's Office of the Registrar.

    You are required to notify LMU Financial Aid of the amount and type of veteran's benefits that you will receive while enrolled at LMU Loyola Law School. These benefits must be coordinated with other federal, state, and university aid that you may be eligible to receive.

    VA Educational Benefits (VEB) must be coordinated with other financial aid awards according to federal, state and institutional policy. Students receiving VEB (including Yellow Ribbon funds) cannot receive funds designated for tuition/fees only that exceed the actual amount of tuition and mandatory fees for the University.

    For more information, please contact LMU Loyola Law School's Office of the Registrar at (213) 736-1130 or

    Yellow Ribbon Program

    The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.

    This program allows degree-granting institutions in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Veteran’s Administration (VA). Under this agreement, the school may contribute up to 50% of tuition expenses, and the VA will match that amount. LMU Loyola Law School has funding to provide a direct grant of $2,000 to a maximum of 15 qualifying veterans ($1,000 in the fall term and $1,000 in the spring term). Students will be considered for the Yellow Ribbon Award on a first-come, first-served basis. 

    For more information, please contact LMU Loyola Law School's Office of the Registrar at (213) 736-1130 or

    More detailed information may be found at and our Yellow Ribbon Benefit page

  • Using AmeriCorps award to pay for educational fees

    If you have an AmeriCorps Award and are seeking payment for current expenses, you can request your award online from National Service Trust. Log in directly to the My AmeriCorps to request your award: First-time users will be prompted to register via the portal homepage.

    LMU will receive the first payment from AmeriCorps within two weeks of approving your educational expense voucher. If your voucher is denied for any reason, comments will be entered on the voucher-request explaining the reason for denial.

    AmeriCorps awards are certified up to your cost of attendance. Students may request AmeriCorps funds to cover charges for the current semester or for a previous semester. AmeriCorps Awards are received in two payments: one at the beginning of the term, the other near the mid-point. This means that your award will be provided to you in two equal disbursements. AmeriCorps Awards will be considered as part of your Financial Aid package for the academic year requested. 

    For more information about using your AmeriCorps benefit to pay for educational fees and federal and Perkins loans,  please visit the My AmeriCorps or call them at 1-800-942-2677. 

    Using AmeriCorps awards to pay federal student loans

    For information about applying your AmeriCorps award to your federal student loans, please visit the AmeriCorps website. Please be aware that when making this request your actual lender may not appear in the list of lenders. Lenders, including Federal Direct Loans, often use third-party organizations known as “servicers” for the administration of their loans. For example, when you go to the AmeriCorps website and request your AmeriCorps funds to be applied to a previously borrowed loan, you may see one of the following servicers listed:

    • FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA)
    • Sallie Mae
    • Great Lakes
    • National Education Loan Network (Nelnet)

    There are additional services that may be applicable. To determine your loan servicer, please visit the Federal Student Aid website.  You will need your FSA ID to access this system. This is the same login that you use to sign your FAFSA. If you don't have your FSA ID, you can request it here

    AmeriCorps Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

    If you have questions about AmeriCorps you can find many answers on the AmeriCorps' FAQ page.

    Does LMU match AmeriCorps Education Awards?

    Unfortunately, LMU does not match Americorps awards.

  • Employee Tuition Benefits

    Full-time faculty and full-time, regular staff members are eligible to receive full tuition remission for undergraduate or graduate courses that are taken towards the completion of one undergraduate and/or one graduate degree, completion of a credential/certificate program offered by one of the six university schools/colleges, or taken under non-degree status.

    In addition the spouses and dependent children of full time, regular faculty members are eligible for full-time tuition remission provided certain requirements are met. The spouses and dependent children of part-time employees are not eligible for tuition remission. Please refer to the LMU Faculty Handbook, LMU Staff Policy Manual, or contact the Human Resources Office for further information regarding tuition remission.

    LMU Tuition Benefits must be considered as a resource when determining eligibility for federal, state and other university-funded sources of financial aid. If you are a participant in a tuition program that will cover part of your LMU tuition, you must notify the Financial Aid Office to ensure these resources are coordinated with other financial aid.

    Recipients of LMU tuition benefits or tuition exchange programs that meet 100% of LMU tuition costs are not eligible to receive the following forms of financial aid.

    • LMU Grant or LMU Donated or Endowed Awards
    • LMU Institutional Scholarships
    • LMU Yellow Ribbon Grant
    • LMU Institutional Loans (Perkins, California, Shandler, or Burns)

    Recipients of the Cal Grant A or B (Tuition Award) who also receive LMU Tuition Benefits will have their LMU Tuition Benefits reduced by the amount of the Cal Grant tuition award.

    Non-LMU Tuition Benefits/Reimbursement

    Non-LMU tuition benefits must be considered as a resource when determining eligibility for federal, state and other university-funded sources of financial aid. If your financial aid award does not include tuition benefits that you have been approved to receive, please notify the Financial Aid Office immediately.