LLS Frequently Asked Questions

Your questions are very important to us. If you have a question that is not addressed below, please email or call us at finaid@lmu.edu or 310-338-2753. 

  • Our office hours are Monday - Friday, 9:00 am-5:00 pm. Remember, you can check the status of your financial aid online at any time via PROWL.

    You may contact us by phone or email. 

    Email: finaid@lmu.edu
    Phone: (310) 338-2753
    Fax: (310) 338-2793

    Mail: Loyola Marymount University
    Suite 200
    1 LMU Drive
    Los Angeles, CA 90045-2659

    It is not necessary to make an appointment to meet with a financial aid counselor. Financial aid counselors are available Monday-Friday, 9:00 am-5:00 pm, on a walk-in basis to answer questions. Our office is located on the main campus in the Charles Von der Ahe Building, Suite 270 

    Questions can also be submitted 24 hours a day by e-mail to finaid@lmu.edu Emails will be responded to within two business days.

  • To be eligible for Federal Financial Aid you must meet the requirements below: 

    • Be a citizen or eligible noncitizen of the United States.
    • Have a valid Social Security Number. (Students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, and the Republic of Palau are exempt from this requirement.)
    • Be enrolled in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree.
    • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
    • Not owe a refund on a federal student grant or be in default on a federal student loan.
    • Not have a conviction for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, work-study, or loans). If you have such a conviction, you must complete the Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet to determine if you are eligible for aid or partially eligible for aid.
  • The cost of attendance (COA) is not the tuition bill you receive from the Law School; it is the total amount it may cost you to attend Law School each year. The COA includes tuition and fees; room and board, and allowances for books, supplies, transportation, loan fees, and, if applicable, dependent care. It can also include other expenses like an allowance for the rental or purchase of a personal computer, costs related to a disability, or costs for eligible study-abroad programs.

    Please visit the cost of attendance webpage for additional information. 

  • Your Cost of Attendance is tied to a period of enrollment (generally a two-semester academic year). If a student incurs costs that exceed the amount in certain budget categories or certain allowable costs that are not included in the standard cost of attendance, the student may request an adjustment for those costs by submitted a Cost of Attendance Appeal form to our office. 

    Some allowable costs:

    • Unreimbursed medical expenses, including prescriptions. Must provide a receipt of payment. 
    • Licensed daycare (does not include private school tuition). Must provide a receipt of payment. 
    • Auto repair costs other than routine maintenance. Must provide a receipt of payment. 
    • Computer purchase ($1500, one time only). Must provide a receipt of payment. 
    • Other allowable costs that are determined by the Financial Aid Office to be directly related to a student's education. 
  • The Cost of Attendance considers the estimated cost of rent in the “Room and Board” estimate, for off-campus students, which is based on a survey from the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). The estimated room and board budget item cannot be increased based on your actual monthly rent. 

  • The sickness insurance and the annual parking permit are not included in your Cost of Attendance because they are not mandatory fees. Both items can be waived. 

  • Although the unsubsidized loan remains the same each year, you may be eligible to increase your Graduate PLUS loan based on the new cost of attendance.

  • To be eligible for federal, state, and University financial aid programs, students are required to make satisfactory academic progress. These standards are separate and distinct from the University’s Academic Degree Requirements and Policies as stated in the University Bulletin.

    These guidelines are in accordance with those required by federal regulations for recipients of federal grant, work, and loan programs, including the Federal Direct Graduate (PLUS) Loan. These standards also apply to state aid or state-funded financial aid programs in accordance with the State of California.

    Recipients of LMU tuition benefits who are not receiving any other federal, state, or University funds are not bound by these guidelines.

    Satisfactory academic progress (SAP) standards are the same for all categories of students within each Law program (JD or LLM). SAP assessment does not differ if a student is full time or part time. All periods of enrollment will be included in the measurement of SAP. Semesters in which the student enrolls but is not receiving Federal financial aid are included in the measurement. 

    For detailed information, please visit Maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress for Law School.

  • The law school offers merit scholarships to entering students and many of these awards are renewable if the student maintains the law school grade point average noted in the scholarship letter. Continuing students must also remain enrolled at least half time to continue to receive their award. Unless specified, scholarship funding may be used for the fall and spring semesters only.

    After completing the first year, ‘rising’ second-year students may also receive additional merit awards if they have earned grades that place them in the top 10% of the class based on the student’s overall cumulative LGPA for fall and spring. (Day and evening students are ranked separately.) These awards are automatically extended once spring grades and class rank are released.

    Students receiving tuition remission are not eligible to receive scholarship awards. 

  • Scholarship funding is limited to students renewing their award.  In order that these awards remain equitable, scholarship offers are not negotiable. External awards are available through outside organizations and these opportunities are listed under "Outside Scholarships" here

  • Only renewed scholarship funding is provided to students who continue to meet the renewal criteria (additional funding is not available).

  • The law school does not offer need-based financial aid programs.

  • Tuition rates are set annually by the university’s Board of Trustees. Scholarship letters specify the award amount and awards do not increase with tuition unless noted.  (See your scholarship notice for the terms of your offer.)

  • Students who do not meet their scholarship’s renewal criteria may be eligible for other funding through financial aid programs like the Stafford unsubsidized loan program or Grad PLUS. Students may contact the law school’s Student Financial Services Office, financialaid@lls.edu or the university’s Financial Aid Office, finaid@lmu.edu for questions about financial aid eligibility.

  • Students who do not meet the renewal criteria as a rising second-year cannot have this award reinstated if they meet the renewal criteria in subsequent years.

  • Loyola Law School participates in the Yellow Ribbon program. Enrolled students may submit a request to match their veteran benefits to the law school’s Registrar’s Office at registar@lls.edu or call 213-736-1130 if they have any questions.

  • You can use any grant, scholarship or loan(s) that is awarded above your costs to receive a refund. If your accepted aid does not exceed your costs and you are not eligible for a refund, you may consider increasing your loans to the maximum amount offered. Law Students can also borrow a PLUS Loan to help pay for education related expenses like off campus housing or may choose to borrow through an Alternative Private Lender. When possible, we encourage students to apply for a PLUS loan first with the Alternative loan as a last resort.

  • Refunds can be used for housing, however they can’t be requested until the first day of classes. You should not anticipate your refund will be available for your first month’s rent as all aid, including loans, begins to disburse 10 days before the start of the term. Use the Federal Student Aid Budget Calculator as a tool to estimate your expenses.

  • Bar exam loans are private, credit-based student loans designed to assist recent graduates with the costs of preparing for and taking the Bar Exam.  Unlike regular student loans, bar loan disbursements are mailed directly to the borrower. With most lenders, the interest rates on these loans are variable and can range anywhere between 3.25% APR and 14.00% APR. None of these loans are eligible for Income-Based Repayment or Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness. 

    • You may apply for a loan if you are enrolled at least half time in your final year of study at an ABA-accredited law school, or have graduated recently from one. (Depending on the lender, this can be anywhere between 30 days, 6 months, or 12 months.)
    • You must be sitting for the bar exam no later than 12 months after graduation.
    • You must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident or an international student borrower applying with a creditworthy cosigner who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
    • You must meet the current credit and other eligibility criteria. 

    Below are the minimum number of units that you must be enrolled in to be eligible for Federal loans.


    1/2 TIME

     Juris Doctor (Day) 6
    Juris Doctor (Evening) 4
     Law Graduate Level 4
     Master of Law (FTA) 6
     Doctor of Juridical Science 4
     Master of Laws Taxation 4


    Loyola Law School does not prefer, recommend, promote, endorse, or suggest any of these lenders. The use of a lender from this list is not required and Loyola Law School will process loans from any eligible lender that a student selects for a Bar Exam Loan.

  • The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is not required to receive veteran’s benefits or for the Yellow Ribbon program. However, as a veteran you may also apply for other forms of financial aid like loans.

    If you are a recipient of Veteran's Benefits, you are responsible for submitting any enrollment verification documents required by the VA to Loyola's Office of the Registrar.

    You are required to notify the Office of Financial Aid of the amount and type of veteran's benefits that you will receive while enrolled at Loyola. These benefits must be coordinated with other federal, state, and university aid that you may be eligible to receive.

    VA Educational Benefits (VEB) must be coordinated with other financial aid awards according to federal, state and institutional policy. Students receiving VEB (including Yellow Ribbon funds) cannot receive funds designated for tuition/fees only that exceed the actual amount of tuition and mandatory fees for the University.

    For more information, please contact Loyola's Office of the Registrar at (213) 736-1130 or registrar@lls.edu.

  • The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program) is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.

    This program allows degree-granting institutions in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the Veteran’s Administration (VA). Under this agreement, the school may contribute up to 50% of tuition expenses, and the VA will match that amount. Loyola has funding to provide a direct grant of $2,000 to a maximum of 15 qualifying veterans ($1,000 in the fall term and $1,000 in the spring term). Students will be considered for the Yellow Ribbon Award on a first-come, first-served basis. 

    Detailed information about the Yellow Ribbon Program can be found online at website.

    For more information, please contact Loyola's Office of the Registrar at (213) 736-1130 or registrar@lls.edu.