Student Rights & Responsibilities
Your Right to Know:
- The types of financial aid available at LMU from federal, state, and university funded financial aid programs.
- How to apply and the deadlines to apply for federal, state and university financial aid programs available at LMU each year.
- The cost of attending LMU and the University’s refund policy.
- The criteria used by LMU to select financial aid recipients.
- How to submit an appeal of your financial aid award if your circumstances change.
- The portion of your financial aid that is a loan, and what portion is gift aid.
- If offered a loan, you have the right to know what the interest rate is, the total amount that must be repaid, the repayment procedures, the length of time you have to repay the loan, and when repayment is to begin.
- How LMU determines whether you are maintaining satisfactory academic progress for financial aid and what happens if you are not.
- Certain types of financial aid are available for study abroad.
- Review and consider all information about LMU before deciding to enroll.
- Review the provided on the website.
- Complete all application forms accurately and truthfully. Intentional misreporting of information for financial aid purposes is a violation of law and is considered a criminal offense, subject to penalties under the U.S. Criminal Code.
- Respond to all requests from the Financial Aid Office for additional information or documents.
- Read all forms that you are asked to sign, and keep copies of them for your records.
- Review the information provided in the online Award Guide for Entering Freshmen and Transfer Students.
- Notify the Financial Aid Office in advance if you plan to enroll less than full-time (12-18 units),
- Notify the Registrar’s Office if you decide to take a leave of absence or withdraw from the university.
- Notify the Financial Aid office of any additional resources, e.g. scholarships or tuition benefits that have not been considered when determining your financial aid award.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress for financial aid. Withdrawing from LMU or never attending classes can result in termination of financial aid and may also involve partial or full repayment of disbursed aid for that semester.
- Complete required federal loan entrance and exit counseling.
- Repay any student loans you borrow.
- Notify the LMU Registrar's Office of changes in your name, permanent or local address, or telephone numbers.