Veteran Educational Benefits

The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is not required to receive veteran’s benefits or for the Yellow Ribbon program. However, as a veteran, you may also apply for other forms of financial aid.  Review our financial aid website for information on grants, and for which you might qualify as well as the details on how to apply.

The LMU Veterans Certification Office certifies enrollment for LMU matriculated students who apply and are eligible for educational assistance administered by the US Department of Veterans Affairs (Veterans Administration). The office forwards enrollment certifications to regional offices of the Veterans Administration, provides assistance to students with problems related to the Veterans Administration educational (or covered) programs, and maintains a reference file on all VA students for up to three years.  The LMU Veterans Certification Office is located in the Office of the Registrar.  More information is available at

VA Educational Benefits (VEB) must be coordinated with other financial aid awards according to federal, state and institutional policy. Students receiving VEB (including Yellow Ribbon funds) cannot receive funds designated for tuition & fees only that exceed the actual amount of tuition and mandatory fees for the University.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Tuition and Fee-only awards include:

  • LMU Grants, LMU Awards and Scholarships, Institutional Loans
  • Cal Grants A and B
  • LMU Athletic Scholarships and Grants
  • LMU Tuition Remission
  • Any other assistance that has been designated for tuition/fees only

At the end of each term, LMU will certify and report the number of completed units to the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA will determine if an overpayment has been made to the school on the student’s behalf. An individual who does not complete all courses in the certified period of enrollment, and who does not substantiate mitigating circumstances for not completing such enrollment, will be charged an overpayment equal to the amount of ALL educational assistance paid for that period of enrollment. This means the veteran is responsible for any overpayment incurred as a result of not completing courses. If an overpayment is determined, the VA will notify the veteran. Overpayment notifications will inform the veteran of the overpayment amount and whom to contact to establish a repayment schedule. Overpayments are collected by the VA Debt Management Center. In most cases, overpayments will not be collected during the due process period, which is 30 days from the day of notification.

Resources to Assist You

  • College Financing Plan (CFP)
  • LMU is a participant in the Yellow Ribbon Program for veterans.
  • Veteran Programs provides resources and services to meet the unique needs of our student veterans. Their office is committed to your success and involvement in all aspects of campus life at LMU. Please visit Veteran Programs for more information.
  • Calculate your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits using the GI Bill Comparison Tool.
  • You may also find more information on types of Veteran Benefits at
  • LMU also has a Student Veterans' Organization that provides service and outreach activities for veterans and their families in the Los Angeles area and provides a social network for veterans and supporters of the Armed Forces.  For more information contact
  • If you are an active member in the California National Guard, the California State Guard or the Naval Militia you may be eligible for the California Military Department (CMD) GI Bill Award Program (formerly the California National Guard Education Assistance Award Program - CNG EAAP).  For more information on this program, including eligibility requirements and how to apply, please visit the California Student Aid Commission website.