Work Awards

Over 3,500 students are employed at LMU and work on and off campus in a variety of jobs. In most cases, students must apply for financial aid by completing the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) in order to receive an award to allow them to work on campus. This work award is considered a form of financial aid. The following information is a summary of the different work awards and their requirements.

Federal Work-Study (FWS) 

FWS is a need based federal funded work award which allows recipients to work on-campus during the academic year and earn up to the amount of their award. Federal work-study is offered up to $3,200 for the academic year. Students apply to work during the summer by completing the Summer Financial Aid application which is made available in the spring. Pay rates range from $8.00 to $12.00 per hour depending on the skill level required for the position. It is the student's responsibility to locate a position on campus. On average, students work 14 hours per week but are not allowed to work more than 20 hours per week.  Note:  As graduate students are not eligible for most subsidized federal financial aid, they are therefore not required to complete federal verification if selected.  However, if a graduate student is selected for federal verification and requests federal work-study, the student must submit required documents to complete verification.  

LMU Work

LMU Work is a LMU funded award which allows recipients to work on-campus during the academic year and earn the amount of their award. To be considered students must have completed the FAFSA and not qualify for Federal Work-Study. Awards are offered for up to $2,000 per year, as funding permits.

How to Find a Job to earn your Work Award

Recipients can look for positions through Student Employment Services. Their website can also give you more information about working at LMU as a student.  


Transfer Work

Transfer Work is a LMU funded award for students. The work is directly funded by the employer’s department budget and allows recipients to work on-campus during the academic year and earn the amount of their award. If you were not awarded Federal Work-Study or Loyola Work, you may contact a prospective LMU employer directly to determine if their department budget has funding to hire you. If hired, the employer will notify you directly by email. 

Benefits of Working on Campus

  • Working on campus allows you to earn money to assist with educational expenses.
  • Working reduces the need for student loans.
  • Working on campus provides flexible hours, as employers understand that school comes first and will work around your class and study schedules.
  • Many jobs are office positions which will provide you with work experience which you can include on your resume. 

Responsibilities of Working on Campus

  • Notify the Financial Aid Office of enrollment changes that may affect your eligibility for a work award.
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
  • Keep track of your hours so that you do not earn more than your work award. Your employer will be responsible for 100% of any wages earned in excess of your work award.
  • Notify your supervisor of changes to your work award.
  • Report ready to work at the scheduled time.
  • Dress appropriately for the work place.
  • Complete duties and not conduct personal business while at work.
  • Work with a cooperative and positive attitude.
  • Notify the supervisor as soon as possible of any changes in work schedule and of projects and exams which may interfere with the work schedule.
  • Submit the completed time-card/time-sheet and/or complete and submit electronic time-sheet to supervisor on time.
  • Adhere to any confidentiality/security agreements set forth by employer.
  • Notify each supervisor if employed in more than one position on campus.
  • Notify supervisor of any job-related accident.

What happens once I have earned my Work-Study allocation?

Students are responsible for ensuring that they do not earn over their work-study allocation. A collaborative effort should be made by both the student and the employer to track earnings. Students and employers can monitor their remaining work eligibility on their MyTime account. Click on the “banks” tab below to review how much you have been offered and how much remains for use. Students may not work beyond their work study allocation. When a student finds they are getting close to earning their total work study allocation, they should contact their supervisor to ensure they are aware. However, once the full work study allocation is earned, the student must stop working unless arrangements can be made directly through the supervisor.

Tax and FAFSA Implications

Earnings from work are considered taxable income. You will need to determine whether you are required to file a federal or state tax return based on your total earnings from all sources in 2013. For more information regarding federal taxes, visit For California state tax information, visit or the Web site for your state of residency. For more information on working at LMU visit Career Development Services.