Submitting your 2016 Tax Data for 2018-2019

It is necessary for the IRS to schedule an additional outage period to complete critical system upgrades. The IRS DRT will be unavailable beginning at 8 a.m. Eastern time (ET) on Saturday, November 17, 2018 until 6 p.m. ET on Sunday, November 18, 2018. During this outage period, users may access, the myStudentAid mobile app, and However, if an action requires entry of federal tax information, the tax information will need to be provided manually. Applicants may wish to complete the application after the outage is over.


In 2018-2019, you will use 2016 tax information to complete the FAFSA.  Only report the student and parent(s) 2016 federal tax information on the FAFSA. If your income has changed significantly and you want us to consider your 2017 or 2018 income, you will need to submit an Appeal Form. Additional documentation may be required. Please visit the Appeals section on the financial aid website for more detailed information. 

Options for Submitting Tax Data to the LMU Financial Aid Office

For Tax Filers

IRS Data Retrieval

The best way to submit student and/or parent federal tax data is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) that is part of FAFSA on the Web at fafsa.govIn most cases, no further documentation is needed to verify 2016 IRS income tax return information that was transferred into the student's FAFSA using the IRS DRT, if that information was not changed. Click IRS Data Retrieval Process for more information on the process.

IRS Tax Transcript

If the student or parent is unable or chooses not to use the IRS DRT in FAFSA on the Web, a 2016 IRS Tax Return Transcript(s) must be provided to the LMU Financial Aid Office (signature not required). Click IRS Tax Transcript for more information on the process.

For Non-tax Filers

Not everyone is required to submit a tax return. If you were not required to submit a 2016 federal tax return, you will need to submit the 2018-2019 Verification of 2016 Income for Nontax Filers form available in the Forms section of the Financial Aid Website.  

Important: Parents of dependent parents or independent student and spouse, who are non-filing, must submit an IRS Verification of Nonfiling Letter, IRS form 13873.This document must be dated over October 17, 2017.

Dependent students who did not file, only required to complete the LMU Non-filing statement. 


Submitting Tax Data when you have Unusual Circumstances (Extension, Amended Return, Identity Theft, Filed Non-IRS Tax Return)

Individuals Granted a Filing Extension by the IRS

If you have filed an 2016 extension, you required to use the IRS DRT or submit a tax transcript after October 17, 2017 the automatic extension deadline.


If you have been granted an extension beyond the automatic extension you must submit:

  • A copy of IRS Form 4868 ‘‘Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return,’’ the individual filed with the IRS for tax year 2016;
  • A copy of the IRS’s approval of an extension beyond the automatic six-month extension for tax year 2016;
  • Verification of Nonfiling from the IRS dated on or after October 1, 2017;
  • A copy of IRS Form W–2 for each source of 2016 employment income received or an equivalent document
  • If self-employed, a signed statement certifying the amount of AGI and U.S. income tax paid for tax year 2016.
  • If a dependent student files an extension, the student must also submit the IRS Verification of Nonfiling Letter.  

Individuals Who File an Amended IRS Income Tax Return

If an individual filed an amended IRS income tax return for tax year 2016, please provide the following:

  • A transcript obtained or a ROA transcript can be obtained from the IRS that lists tax account information of the tax filer for tax year 2016; and
  • A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X that was filed with the IRS.

Individuals Who were Victims of Identity Theft

If you were a victim of identity theft, please provide the following:

  • A signed and dated statement indicating that you were a victim of tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made aware of it.
  • A copy of the alternate transcript known as the “Transcript Database View” or TRDBV.  This meets the requirement of a tax transcript.  Filers who believe they are victims of identity theft may call the Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) toll-free number at 800-908-4490 directly or go to the ID theft website on After the IPSU authenticates the tax filer’s identify, the tax filer can request that the IRS mail to the tax filer a TRDBV transcript.

Individuals Who Filed Non-IRS Tax Returns

  • A tax filer who filed an income tax return with Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands may provide a signed copy of his or her income tax return that was filed with the relevant tax authority. However, if we question the accuracy of the information on the signed copy of the income tax return, the tax filer must provide us with a copy of the tax account information issued by the relevant tax authority before verification can be completed.
  • A tax filer who filed an income tax return with the tax authority for American Samoa must provide a copy of his or her tax account information.
  • A tax filer who filed an income tax return with tax authorities not mentioned above, i.e. a foreign tax authority, and who indicates that he or she is unable to obtain the tax account information free of charge, must provide documentation that the tax authority charges a fee to obtain that information, along with a signed copy of his or her income tax return that was filed.