Males exempted from the requirement to register include:
- Males currently in the armed services and on active duty (this exception does not apply to members of the Reserve and National Guard who are not on active duty);
- Males who are not yet 18 at the time that they complete their applications (an update is not required during the year, even if a student turns 18 after completing the application);
- Males born before 1960;
- Citizens of the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Federated States of Micronesia*;
- Noncitizens who first entered the U.S. after they turned 26;
- Noncitizens who entered the U.S. as lawful nonimmigrants on a valid visa and remained in the U.S. on the terms of that visa until after they turned 26;
- Transgender males who were assigned the sex of female at birth
The student may be asked to provide documentation proving that he is exempt.
*A citizen or national of the Republic of the Marshall Islands or the Federated States of Micronesia who lives in the United States for more than one year for any reason except as a student or employee of the government of his homeland must register.
If you do not meet any of the above criteria, you are required to register for Selective Service. If you are not exempt and you are above the age of 26, you must submit a statement explaining why you failed to register for Selective Service, along with any supporting documentation.