General Eligibility for Financial Aid

General Eligibility for Financial Aid

Click on the  page to review additional details related to general aid eligibility for Loyola Law School.

To receive federal, state and most institutional aid administered through the Financial Aid Office, you must:

  • Be admitted to a degree seeking program at Loyola Marymount University. Students working towards a second Bachelor’s degree are only eligible for the Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan programs. Federal rules permit students to receive financial aid from only one school at a time.
  • Have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent to receive federal student aid. More information on other documents equivalent to high school completion is available here.
  • Be a citizen, permanent resident of the United States or other eligible non-citizen as detailed in the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) instructions for federal state and university funded financial aid programs. If you have been instructed to submit documentation of your citizenship status, you are required to bring the original documentation that verifies your status to the Financial Aid Office. Documentation of eligible non-citizens must not have an expiration date prior to the start of the academic year. The Financial Aid Office will submit copies of the documentation for eligible non-citizens to the Department of Homeland Security for confirmation. Detailed information on eligible categories and required documentation is available here.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) according to SAP policy for financial aid recipients.
  • Not be enrolled beyond eight semesters. Students who require enrollment to complete a Bachelor’s degree beyond eight semesters (4 years) are only eligible for the Federal Pell Grant and Federal Direct Student and Parent Loans. Students must appeal to be considered for other types of aid beyond 8 semesters. The maximum semesters for transfer students will be based on the number of units accepted for transfer. For example a transfer student for whom 60 units (junior grade level) are accepted will be considered to have completed 4 semesters and will have 4 remaining semesters of eligibility.
  • Be in compliance with  Registration if a male, to receive federal and state funded financial aid.
  • Be enrolled full-time at Loyola Marymount University for most forms of university funded financial aid or at least half-time for federal and state funded financial aid programs. Students may receive federal and state aid, who are otherwise eligible, for enrollment via a consortium agreement that has been approved for LMU transfer credit. Further information on consortium agreement process is here. Students who enroll less than half-time are only eligible for the Federal Pell Grant. Enrollment in a course previously passed for a second time will not count towards enrollment for federal aid programs. Review detailed information on enrollment requirements here.
  • Have resolved any drug conviction issues. See the Drug Convictions and Financial Aid Eligibility section.
  • Not owe a refund to any federal grant or loan or be in default on any federal loan.
  • Not be incarcerated. Incarcerated students are not eligible for FSA loans, but are eligible for FSEOGs and FWS. They are also eligible for Pell grants if they are not incarcerated in a federal or state penal institution. A student is considered to be incarcerated if he or she is serving a criminal sentence in a federal, state, or local penitentiary, prison, jail, reformatory, work farm, or similar correctional institution (whether it is operated by the government or a contractor). A student is not considered to be incarcerated if he or she is in a half-way house or home detention or is sentenced to serve only weekends. Students who are currently incarcerated or who might be incarcerated during their current term of attendance must identify themselves to the financial aid office to determine their financial aid eligibility.


Unusual Enrollment History

The U.S. Department of Education has established new regulations to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Pell Grant Program by identifying students with unusual enrollment histories. Some students who have an unusual enrollment history have legitimate reasons for their enrollment at multiple institutions. However, such an enrollment history requires our office to review your file in order to determine future federal financial aid eligibility. If selected by the Department of Education (via the FAFSA), this must be resolved before you will receive financial aid.

The specific pattern the Department of Education uses to select students includes those students who have received a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Direct Loan (not including a Direct Consolidation Loan or parent PLUS Loan) at multiple institutions during the past four academic years. Once the Department of Education indicates that a student has an unusual enrollment history, the Financial Aid office must then take action and review the academic history prior to determining federal financial aid eligibility for that student.

If selected, our office will notify you of what is required. We will check your financial aid history at your previous institutions that you attended during the previous four years. You are required to have received academic credit at any institution you received the Federal Pell Grant or Federal Direct Loan (not including a Direct Consolidation Loan or parent PLUS Loan) while attending in those relevant academic years. Our office will verify the academic credit was received at each institution during the relevant years. If so, we will notify you that you have satisfied this requirement. If you failed to receive academic credit at any institution you received a Federal Pell Grant at during the relevant award years, your federal financial aid will be denied and you will be notified. You will also receive notification that you can provide a statement explaining why you did not receive academic credit.

For more information on academic requirements, review the current Undergraduate Bulletin.

Eligibility playlist