The Department of Education announced on Wednesday, May 18, 2022 that it would be making changes to the verification process for the 2022-23 award year as a means of providing relief to students financially challenged by the pandemic and aim to reduce barriers to enrollment for millions of low-income students to access financial aid.
Specifically, effective May 18, 2022, and for the remainder of the 2022-23 academic year, the Department of Education is waiving verification requirements for most Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) information, except for identity/statement of educational purpose and high school completion status under verification tracking groups V4 and V5.
Missing verification requirements for students who were selected for V1 verification will be waived. Our office will review verification documents that have been marked as “incomplete” in PROWL to determine if the student needs to submit any additional documentation. If any additional documents are needed, the student will be notified in PROWL.
How to complete Federal Verification?
The items that you are required to verify will be posted as missing requirements on your financial aid PROWL account. Most students selected for verification will be required to submit student and parent federal tax information.
For 2022-2023, if selected for verification, and taxes required, student and parent 2020 federal tax data is required.
How do I submit student and parent federal tax data?
For additional information on submitting tax data to LMU visit Submitting Your Tax Data.
When must I complete federal verification Requirements?
|Entering First-Year and Transfer Students|
|Continuing Undergraduate and Post Baccalaureate Students|
What if I DO NOT supply the verification documentation?
Consequences for NOT Submitting Verification Documents
Entering First-Year or Transfer Students
Those who have not submitted federal verification requirements by August 19, 2022 will have all federal, state and need-based institutional financial aid canceled.
You will then need to make alternate payment arrangements with LMU's Student Accounts Department.
Continuing Undergraduate or Post Baccalaureate Students
Continuing Undergraduate students are not provided with a financial aid award until verification has been completed.
Those who have not submitted federal verification requirements by August 19, 2022 will then need to make alternate payment arrangements with LMU's Student Accounts Department.
What happens after I submit all the required documentation?
1. We compare that information to you provided for verification with your FAFSA.
2. If no changes occur during our review, we will also post a message to your PROWL account notifying you that the federal verification process is complete.
3. If any discrepancies are found, we will update your FAFSA information in our system with the information provided on your verification documents. Your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) may change and we will determine whether the change to your EFC requires that we revise your financial aid award. This review process takes 7-10 business days after receipt of all verification documents.
4. If your revised EFC changes your financial aid eligibility, we are required to revise your financial aid award, we will do so and post a message to your PROWL account.
5. If financial aid has been disbursed for which you are no longer eligible, these funds will be reversed from your student account and we will post a message to your PROWL account.
6. If certain funds for which you are no longer eligible have been refunded to you, we will report these funds as an "overpayment" to the Department of Education, and you will be responsible for repaying these funds before you can receive further financial aid.
7. We correct your FAFSA from the information you provided for verification. Do not make further corrections or changes to your FAFSA while verification is pending, and once verification has been completed.