How to Apply

High School Seniors

  • Complete the 2016-2017 FAFSA by March 2 at
  • Submit your Cal Grant GPA to the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) by March 2. Find necessary forms and instructions here.

If you missed these deadlines, you can still complete the FAFSA for federal eligibility. Missing the priority funding deadline does not mean that students will automatically lose their institutional aid. It means that LMU cannot guarantee the funding of institutional scholarships and grants. It is advised to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible to avoid any potential loss of eligibility.

Please Note: if your GPA Verification was not submitted to CSAC due to circumstances beyond your control, you have 75 calendar days after the March 2 deadline to submit a Late GPA Verification Appeal to CSAC. For more information on this process, please go to CSAC’s website.

You must also submit your verified Cal Grant GPA (or GED, SAT, or ACT score under some circumstances) by the March 2 deadline. You can submit your verified GPA before your FAFSA. Some schools automatically submit GPAs electronically for their students – it is your responsibility to check with your high school counselor. If your school does not electronically submit GPAs, you will need to fill out the Cal Grant GPA Verification Form and give it to a school official for verification before mailing it to the California Student Aid Commission – it cannot be submitted online.


California Dream Act for Undocumented Immigrant/(AB540) Students

  • The California Dream Act allows students who meet the AB540 criteria to apply for state aid as well as be considered for institutional aid. However, completing this application does not guarantee you will receive institutional aid.
  • You can find more information about the California Dream Act and how to apply at the California Student Aid Commission's website here.
  • To be considered for the Cal Grant and institutional aid you must also complete the Affidavit of Immigration Status‌.
  • If you have not applied for DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) due to financial or other reasons please fill out the ‌Affidavit Regarding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.


Transfer Students

  • Submit your FAFSA by March 2, 2016.
  • Submit your Community College Cal Grant GPA Verification Form to California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) by March 2, 2016.
  • Complete the Transfer Entitlement Certification Form (G-6) for CSAC. (Check here for details)
  • Submit an Official Copy of your High School Transcripts to LMU's Admission's Office.

To qualify for a Cal Grant as a transfer student, you must:

  • Have graduated from a California High School after June 30, 2000
  • Attended a California Community College
  • Have at least a 2.4 community college GPA (of at least 24 semester units)
  • Meet the financial and eligibility requirement
  • Be under the age of 28 at the time of transfer to LMU

After submitting your FAFSA and community college GPA to CSAC, you must also submit a Transfer Entitlement Certification Form (G-6) accessible in Webgrants for Students in order to verify your eligibility to receive a Transfer Entitlement Cal Grant award.


College Freshmen (Less than 24 Units Completed at LMU)

If you have not received a Cal Grant, have completed less than 24 units at LMU, and graduated from a California high school within the past year, you may still be considered for an Entitlement Cal Grant award.


Current Students (24 or more Units completed at LMU)

Students who have not received a Cal Grant in prior years and have completed 24 or more college units may compete for a Cal Grant Competitive award. To apply for a Competitive Cal Grant you must:

  • Submit your FAFSA by the March 2.

If you have completed 24 or more units, LMU will automatically submit your GPA to CSAC for consideration for a Competitive Cal Grant Award. Once your GPA has been submitted to CSAC, an email notification will be sent to your Lion email address.

You can also verify that your GPA has been submitted by creating an account for Webgrants for Students and logging in.

Please note that LMU automatically submits GPA’s as a service to its students, but it is ultimately the student’s responsibility for ensuring that his or her GPA is submitted to CSAC if they wish to be considered for a Competitive Cal Grant Award.


Renewal Cal Grant Awards for Current Students

Students who have been awarded a Cal Grant A or B in the previous aid year will automatically be considered for a Cal Grant in the following aid year if the student meets the following qualifications: 

  • Complete a 2016-2017 FAFSA
  • Have income and assets that do not exceed CSAC's Income and Asset Ceilings for renewal students.