Using AmeriCorps award to pay for educational fees

AmeriCorps service members must request their education awards via in order to use funds at LMU. Please select Loyola Marymount University (not Loyola Law School) when selecting your voucher destination.

LMU will normally receive the first payment from AmeriCorps within two weeks of approving your educational expense voucher. If your voucher is denied for any reason, comments will be entered on the voucher request explaining the reason for denial.

LMU will certify AmeriCorps awards up to your cost of attendance. Students may request AmeriCorps funds to cover charges for the current semester or for a previous semester. When an AmeriCorps award is certified, the university receives the funds in two disbursements. AmeriCorps will pay one half of the award at the beginning of the semester and pay the other half at the semester mid-point.

For more information about using your AmeriCorps benefit to pay for educational fees, please visit the AmeriCorps website or call them at 1-800-942-2677. 

Using AmeriCorps awards to pay Perkins loans

For information about applying your AmeriCorps award to your Federal Perkins loan, please visit the AmeriCorps website here. When making this request, be sure to select your voucher as an "Educational Award-Loan Payment".

Using AmeriCorps awards to pay federal student loans

For information about applying your AmeriCorps award to your federal student loans, please visit the AmeriCorps website. Please be aware that when making this request your actual lender may not appear in the list of lenders. Lenders, including Federal Direct Loans, often use third-party organizations known as “servicers” for the administration of their loans. For example, when you go to the AmeriCorps website and request your AmeriCorps funds to be applied to a previously borrowed loan, you may see one of the following servicers listed:

  • FedLoan Servicing (PHEAA)
  • Sallie Mae
  • Great Lakes
  • National Education Loan Network (Nelnet)

There are additional servicers that may be applicable. To determine your loan servicer, please visit the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). You will need your Department of Education PIN to access this system. This is the same PIN you use to sign your FAFSA. If you don't have your PIN, you can request it here

AmeriCorps Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

If you have questions about AmeriCorps you can find many answers on the AmeriCorps' FAQ page.

 Does LMU match AmeriCorps Education Awards?

Unfortunately, LMU does not match these awards.