General Information and GRE Fee Vouchers

Q. How much will it cost to attend a graduate program at LMU?

Graduate Tuition & Fees

Q. How can I obtain a GRE fee reduction voucher?

ETS offers a limited number of GRE fee reduction vouchers on a first-come, first-served, basis that are available for college seniors and unenrolled college graduates who meet eligibility requirements. A fee reduction voucher may be used for one (1) General Test and/or one (1) Subject Test. Eligibility for participation in the fee reduction program is limited to one (1) time only. Thereafter, the full test fee will be charged for additional tests for which the candidate registers. Individuals meeting the eligibility requirements will be required to pay 50% of the full test fee. 

To be eligible, you must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien who is a college senior or unenrolled college graduate.

College seniors must be:

  • receiving financial aid through an undergraduate college in the U.S., U.S. Territories, or Puerto Rico, and
  • a dependent, who has an Institutional Student Information Report (ISIR) that shows a parental contribution of not more than $1,400 for the senior year, or
  • self-supporting and have an ISIR that shows a contribution of not more than $1,800 for senior year

Unenrolled college graduates must:

  • have applied for financial aid, and
  • have an ISIR that indicates self-supporting status and a contribution of not more than $1,800

To apply for a GRE fee reduction waiver:

  • Contact the Financial Aid Office at to see if you qualify
  • Once your eligibility is established, the Financial Aid Office will issue you a fee reduction voucher.
  • You must visit the Office of the Registrar in the Charles Von Der Ahe building to obtain the school seal required by the voucher program
  • Follow the rest of the instructions on the voucher. Allow up to three weeks for processing and mail delivery.

Please note, ETS will not accept letter requests, photocopies or faxes of fee reduction vouchers. Fee reduction vouchers are not retroactive and they cannot be replaced if lost or stolen.

For more information, contact the Financial Aid Office at

Q. What are my responsibilities as a financial aid recipient at LMU?

As a financial aid recipient at LMU, you must:

  • Notify the Financial Aid Office if your housing plans change;
  • Notify the Financial Aid Office of other scholarships, grants, work or other resources you may receive that will assist with college expenses but that were not included on your Financial Aid Award (You do not need to report assistance from parents and other family members);
  • Notify the Financial Aid Office if enrollment plans change, for example, if you decide to enroll part-time;
  • Notify the Financial Aid Office of any changes that you feel would affect your eligibility;
  • Read the Offer and Award Guide included with your Financial Aid Award Notification;
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
  • Use financial aid funds only for education related expenses; and
  • Provide true and accurate information to the Financial Aid Office.

Q. What happens to my financial aid if I take a Leave of Absence, Withdraw or Drop All Course Work?

Federal Funds

Financial aid programs created by the federal government are called ‘‘Title IV Funds’’ and include the Federal Direct Loan, and Graduate (PLUS) Loan.

Title IV funds are awarded with the understanding that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance was offered. However, should you need to take a leave of absence or withdraw*, you may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds awarded in your Award Letter. Federal law requires that the Financial Aid Office determine at what point Title IV funds will cease to be made available once your enrollment has ended, and any unearned funds will be returned to the federal financial aid program. There is no relationship between this process and how LMU determines what you will be charged when you take a leave of absence or withdraw.

LMU, State, and Private Funds

The Financial Aid Office uses this same formula to determine how much LMU-funded financial aid you have earned. Eligibility for the Cal Grant TCP and scholarships from private sources will vary based on the terms of each program.

What to Do Should You Decide To Take a Leave of Absence or Withdraw

Once you decide to take a leave of absence or withdraw, you are required to notify the Registrar’s Office. Your withdrawal date will be determined as the earliest date that LMU is aware you stopped attending all classes.

How Your Financial Aid is Adjusted

The federal government provides financial aid offices with a schedule that is used to determine how much of your Title IV funds you have earned if you take a leave of absence or withdraw.

Based on the date you give notice of your leave of absence or withdrawal, the Financial Aid Office will determine what amount will be returned to the federal program. If you have completed 60% or less of a given semester, the Financial Aid Office uses the schedule provided by the federal government to determine the refund. If you have completed more than 60% of a semester, you are considered to have earned 100% of your Title IV funds for that semester.

For example, if you take a leave of absence after completing 40% point of a semester, you are then eligible to keep 40% of your federal funds, and the remaining 60% of the federal funds will be returned.

The federal government requires that refunds be returned in the following order:

Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans

Subsidized Federal Direct Loans

Federal Graduate (PLUS) Loans

TEACH Grant.

*For LMU’s policy on taking a leave of absence or withdrawal, see the Graduate Bulletin.

Q. If I am an employee at LMU, do I qualify for forgiveness of federal student loans?

Public Service Loan Forgiveness is a program for borrowers of federal student loans who work in a wide range of "public service" fields, including jobs in government and nonprofit 501(c)(3) organizations. Because LMU is classified as a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization, full-time LMU employees do qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness. Borrowers must make 120 on-time monthly payments on a Federal Direct, Federal Direct Graduate PLUS or Direct Loan Consolidation Loan while working full-time, 30 hours per week, in a public service job. Any remaining debt is canceled after 10 years of eligible employment and qualifying loan payments. Click here for more information.




Email email

Print print

Bookmark and Share share