Applying for Spring 2014
Step 1: Complete the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- In order to apply for financial aid, including federal loans or Federal Work-Study, complete the 2013-2014 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- The FAFSA may be submitted before you have been accepted to LMU, beginning January 1, 2013. We encourage you to apply as early as possible. If you have filed your 2012 federal tax return, we recommend you use the IRS data retrieval (See FAQ) to update your FAFSA with actual student tax information. If you have not filed, use your best estimate. You can correct your FAFSA using the IRS Data retrieval process after you have filed your 2012 federal tax returns.
- Applying online at www.fafsa.ed.gov, is safe and secure and will provide you with online edits to assist you in completing your FAFSA. You must apply for a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to sign the FAFSA electronically. LMU’s Federal School Code is #001234.
Step 2: Complete the LMU Application Online through PROWL. The application will be made available to you after you complete the FAFSA or you are awarded an institutional grant/scholarship. To access the application:
Note: If you do not answer all of the questions on the application, we cannot process your financial aid award. Please complete the application in its entirety to prevent a delay.
- Sign in to MyLMU and click on the ‘System Logins’ menu
- Select PROWL, then click on the ‘Financial Aid’ tab
- Select ‘Financial Aid Requirements,' then '2013-2014 aid year'
- Click on the link for the Financial Aid Application.
Step 3: Complete your Department's Grant/Scholarship Application.
In order to apply for LMU grants and/or scholarships, complete the appropriate departmental grant/scholarship application. Submission instructions are included on the application.
Step 4: After completing the FAFSA, you may be selected for ‘Verification’ by the federal processor. Click here for more information about verification.
- You will be asked to submit signed copies of your 2012 Federal Income Tax Returns, W-2s, all Schedules and a Federal Verification Worksheet for Independent Students to the Financial Aid Office.
- If you are not required to file federal taxes in 2012, you must submit a Student Non-Filing Statement. All forms are available to download online.
Step 5: Continue communication with the Financial Aid Office.
Additional information may be required from you to complete your financial aid application throughout the year. If additional information is needed, the Financial Aid Office will communicate with you primarily by e-mail, using the e-mail account provided on your admission application and/or FAFSA. Please be sure to use an active e-mail account and check it regularly to keep up with important aid announcements and any additional document requests from LMU.
When should I fill out the FAFSA?