Step 1: Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- To apply for financial aid, including federal loans or Federal Work-Study, complete the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
In order to electronically sign your form, you will need an FSA ID. In the past, families and students used a federal PIN number. These PIN numbers are now being replaced with the new FSA ID process. Even if you have an existing PIN number, you will need to follow these steps in order to Create an FSA ID.
- The FAFSA may be submitted before you have been accepted to LMU, beginning January 1, 2016. We encourage you to apply as early as possible. If you have filed your 2015 federal tax return, we recommend you use the IRS Data Retrieval Process (more details here) to update your FAFSA with your actual tax information. If you are a dependent, non-degree credential in the School of Education or a Pre-Medical Post Baccalaureate in College of Science and Engineering student, you must provide your actual tax information and your parent’s tax information. If you have not filed, use your best estimate. You can correct your FAFSA using the IRS Data retrieval process after you have filed your 2015 federal tax returns if necessary.
- Applying online at www.fafsa.ed.gov, is safe and secure and will provide you with online edits to assist you in completing your FAFSA. You must apply for a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to sign the FAFSA electronically. LMU’s Federal School Code is #001234.
Step 2: Complete your Department's Grant/ Scholarship Application. (Available February 2016)
- In order to apply for LMU grants and/or scholarships, complete the appropriate departmental grant/scholarship application. Submission instructions are included on the application.
Step 3: After completing the FAFSA, you may be selected for 'Verification' by the federal processor.
- Click here for more information about verification.
- You will be asked to submit signed copies of your 2015 Federal Income Tax Returns, W-2s, all Schedules and a Federal Verification Worksheet for Independent Students to the Financial Aid Office.
- If you are not required to file federal taxes in 2015, you must submit a Student Non-Filing Statement. All forms are available to download online.
- IRS tax return transcripts OR data retrieval on your FAFSA
- IRS tax return transcripts should be ordered from the IRS and sent to your home address.
- Indicate the student’s name and date of birth on the transcript and send to our Financial Aid Office.
Step 4: Continue communication with the Financial Aid Office.
- Additional information may be required from you to complete your financial aid application throughout the year. If additional information is needed, the Financial Aid Office will communicate with you primarily by e-mail, using the e-mail account provided on your admission application and/or FAFSA. Please be sure to use an active e-mail account and check it regularly to keep up with important aid announcements and any additional document requests from LMU.