IMPORTANT: The option to transfer tax data from the IRS via the IRS Data Retrieval Process has been suspended for the 2017-2018 aid year.
In 2017-2018, you will use 2015 tax information to complete the FAFSA. Only report the student and parent(s) 2015 federal tax information on the FAFSA. If your income has changed significantly and you want us to consider your 2016 or 2017 income, you will need to submit an Appeal Form. Additional documentation may be required. Please visit the Appeals section on the financial aid website for more detailed information.
Options for Submitting Tax Data to the LMU Financial Aid Office
For Tax Filers
Important: The option to transfer tax data from the IRS via the IRS Data Retrieval Process has been suspended for the 2017-2018 aid year.
IRS Tax Transcript
If the student or parent is unable or chooses not to use the IRS DRT in FAFSA on the Web, a 2015 IRS Tax Return Transcript(s) must be provided to the LMU Financial Aid Office (signature not required). Click IRS Tax Transcript for more information on the process.
For Non-tax Filers
Not everyone is required to submit a tax return. If you were not required to submit a 2015 federal tax return, you will need to submit the 2017-2018 Verification of 2015 Income for Nontax Filers form available in the Forms section of the Financial Aid Website.
Important: The Department required that a Verification of Nonfiling Letter from the IRS was also submitted along with non-filers. This requirement is no longer required.
Submitting Tax Data when you have Unusual Circumstances (Extension, Amended Return, Identity Theft, Filed Non-IRS Tax Return)
Individuals Granted a Filing Extension by the IRS
If an individual is required to file a 2015 IRS income tax return and has been granted a filing extension by the IRS, please provide the following documents:
- A copy of the IRS's approval of an extension beyond the 2015 automatic six-month extension (which ended on October 17, 2016); and
- 2017-2018 Tax Extension Income Worksheet along with W-2s.
Individuals Who File an Amended IRS Income Tax Return
If an individual filed an amended IRS income tax return for tax year 2015, please provide the following:
- A transcript obtained or a ROA transcript can be obtained from the IRS that lists tax account information of the tax filer for tax year 2015; and
- A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X that was filed with the IRS.
Individuals Who were Victims of Identity Theft
If you were a victim of identity theft, please provide the following:
- A signed and dated statement indicating that you were a victim of tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made aware of it.
- A copy of the alternate transcript known as the “Transcript Database View” or TRDBV. This meets the requirement of a tax transcript. Filers who believe they are victims of identity theft may call the Identity Protection Specialized Unit (IPSU) toll-free number at 800-908-4490 directly or go to the ID theft website on irs.gov. After the IPSU authenticates the tax filer’s identify, the tax filer can request that the IRS mail to the tax filer a TRDBV transcript.
Individuals Who Filed Non-IRS Tax Returns
- A tax filer who filed an income tax return with Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands may provide a signed copy of his or her income tax return that was filed with the relevant tax authority. However, if we question the accuracy of the information on the signed copy of the income tax return, the tax filer must provide us with a copy of the tax account information issued by the relevant tax authority before verification can be completed.
- A tax filer who filed an income tax return with the tax authority for American Samoa must provide a copy of his or her tax account information.
- A tax filer who filed an income tax return with tax authorities not mentioned above, i.e. a foreign tax authority, and who indicates that he or she is unable to obtain the tax account information free of charge, must provide documentation that the tax authority charges a fee to obtain that information, along with a signed copy of his or her income tax return that was filed.