How to Create a Digital ID (Electronic Signature) in Adobe Acrobat
Many of our forms allow you to sign an Adobe Acrobat PDF form with an electronic signature. If you wish to use an electronic signature, referred to as a Digital ID, follow these step-by-step instructions to create and use a Digital ID. The alternatives to submitting a PDF form with an electronic signature are strictly limited to:
- Printing the form, signing by hand, then mailing or delivering (in person) the form to our office
- Printing the form, signing by hand, then faxing the form to our office (allow 2-3 business days for confirmation of receipt)
- Printing the form, signing by hand, then submitting a clear image of the signed document to email@example.com (allow 2-3 business days for confirmation of receipt)
Examples of signatures we cannot accept
Any attempts to authenticate without a Digital ID or bypass authentication, such as the following, will NOT be accepted:
Use these steps to properly create and use a Digital ID
Step 1: Download/Open the form
Step 2: Save the form locally to your computer
Step 3: Fill out the form and save once complete
Step 4: Click on the Signature field, towards the bottom of the form
Step 5: Click on the 'Sign As' field, and select 'New ID,'
- If you have already created a Digital ID that you wish to use, select your chosen ID from the drop down menu and skip to Step 10.
- If there are currently no existing IDs in your system, you may see the image in Step 6.
Step 6: Select 'A new ID I want to create now' and click 'Next'
Step 7: Select 'New PKCS#12 digital ID file' and click 'Next'
Click here to learn the differences between the storing options, 'New PKCS#12 digital file' and 'Windows Certificate Store.'
Step 8: Fill out 'Name,' 'Email,' & other personal information, and click 'Next'
This information will appear in the Signature field and Signatures panel when you certify the document.
Step 9: Choose a password, enter it twice, and click 'Finish'
Step 10: Enter your password and click 'Sign'
Step 11: Save signed PDF to your computer
Step 12: The signature should appear as follows
You may also see a banner at the top of your screen
Step 13: Email the electronically signed PDF to the the Financial Aid Office at firstname.lastname@example.org