Selective Service

Male students are required to register with the Selective Service to be eligible for federal student aid. This requirement includes U.S. citizens and non-citizens who reside in the United States age 18-25. Males residing in the U.S. as a lawful non-immigrant are not required to register just as long as he maintains a lawful Visa status.  For detailed information, visit the Selective Service website.

Males exempted from the requirement to register include:

  • males currently in the armed services and on active duty (this exception does not apply to members of the Reserve and National Guard who are not on active duty);
  • males who are not yet 18 at the time that they complete their aid applications (an update is not required during the year, even if a student turns 18 after completing the application);
  • males born before 1960;
  • citizens of the Republic of Palau, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Federated States of Micronesia;
  • noncitizens who first entered the U.S. after they turned 26;
  • noncitizens who entered the U.S. as lawful nonimmigrants on a valid visa and remained in the U.S. on the terms of that visa until after they turned 26
  • transgender males who were assigned the sex of female at birth

There are less common situations in which registration isn’t necessary.  Students who weren’t required to register prior to meeting one of the criteria above, and who meet a criterion for the entire time through the age of 25 qualify for a waiver if you are:

  • unable to register due to being hospitalized, incarcerated, or institutionalized;
  • enrolled in any officer procurement program at The Citadel,North Georgia College and State University, Norwich University, Virginia Military Institute, Texas A&M University, or Virginia Polytechnic and State University; or they are commissioned Public Health Service officers on active duty or members of the Reserve of the Public Health Service on specified active duty.

If you meet any of the selective service registration exemptions above, you must submit the appropriate documentation to confirm your exemption.

For example, documentation for exempt noncitizens could include: proof of birth date on a passport, birth certificate, or U.S. driver’s license or state ID; proof of immigration date into the U.S. from an entry date stamp on the I-94 form, or a letter from the USCIS indicating the entry date.

For those here on a valid visa who are at least 18 and less than 26 years old, documentation could include a student visa form (I-20) or other valid U.S. passport visa stamp with expiration date (the dates must be from entry until after the male turned 26).

Note: If you received a request to confirm your selective service registration and you are female, check your Student Aid Report at to make sure you did not leave the gender question blank or answered the question incorrectly.  If you did leave the gender question blank or answered it incorrectly, make the necessary corrections on the FAFSA.