Frequently Asked Questions About Billing

In this section

In July, the LMU Student Accounts Department mails billing statements for the upcoming semester to the permanent address on file for the student. More information about billing, payments, and waivers may be found on the Student Accounts website. Students and families often have questions about the charges reflected on their bill, how to make payment arrangements, or their financial aid award. The information below is intended to guide you to the correct office to contact, as well as provide information that addresses many of the questions we receive each year.

When should I contact Student Accounts, and when should I contact Financial Aid?

The first question many students and families have is, "which office should I contact if I have a question?" Here is a quick guide to help direct your questions:

Contact Student Accounts (at, or 310.338.2711) if you have questions about:

  • Setting up a payment plan.
  • Charges related to housing and/or meal plans.
  • Waiving out of parking, sickness insurance, or tuition insurance charges.
  • Applying funds from a 529 account to your account.
  • Applying Tuition Exchange funds to your account.
  • Requesting a refund when your financial aid award exceeds billed charges. 

Contact Financial Aid (at, or 310.338.2753) if you still have questions about your financial aid award after you have reviewed the common Financial Aid questions below:

Why isn't my financial aid award reflected on my bill?

There are several reasons why your financial aid award may not appear on your bill:

  • Have you completed a 2017-2018 FAFSA? All need-based federal, state, and institutional aid (and some merit-based institutional aid) requires the completion of the FAFSA each year in order to be eligible for award renewal. If you believe you have completed a 2017-2018 FAFSA, please check your PROWL account to ensure that your FAFSA was not rejected (if it was, it will show as "Missing" on your account). If you have not completed your 2017-18 FAFSA, do so as soon as possible at Once the Financial Aid Office receives and processes a valid FAFSA, your financial aid award will appear in PROWL. 
  • Have you accepted your Terms and Conditions? In your PROWL account, you must accept the Terms and Conditions of your financial aid award before you can accept or decline each element of your award, and before those awards can be credited to your account. To accept your terms and conditions, log into PROWL, click on the Financial Aid tab and select My Financial Aid Award and then Award by Aid Year. Select 2017-18 as the Aid Year and then choose the Terms and Conditions tab. Once you have read the Terms and Conditions and selected "Accept" at the bottom of the page, you will be able to accept your awards. 
  • Have you accepted all awards that you intend to use? Your financial aid package may contain a number of different grant, scholarship, and loan awards. These awards must be accepted in PROWL before they will appear on your billing statement. Follow the steps above to accept your Terms and Conditions, and then accept or decline each element of your aid award. For federal and institutional loan programs, accepting your award will trigger requirements for the completion of Master Promissory Notes and Entrance Loan Counseling.
  • Have you completed your verification requirements? Students selected for Federal Verification receive notification from the Financial Aid Office of documents that must be submitted and evaluated before your financial aid award can be applied to your bill. These missing requirements are also noted in your PROWL account. 

Why is my financial aid award different from last year?

For continuing students, there are a number of different reasons why your financial aid award for 2017-18 may be different than the award you received in a prior year. Those include:

  • Academic requirements for merit scholarships: If you did not meet GPA requirements for the renewal of certain merit scholarship programs, you may have lost eligibility. Students who have not met GPA requirements for merit scholarships will see a message posted to their account. 
  • Changes to your FAFSA data: Need-based aid awards (including grants and loans) require filing the FAFSA each year. If the information provided on the FAFSA (including information related to income, assets, and the number of children in college) results in a change to your EFC, your eligibility for need-based grants and/or loans may be affected. If you have questions about changes to grant or loan awards because of an EFC change, please contact the Financial Aid Office. 
  • Filing the FAFSA: If you have received merit- and need-based aid in a prior year, but have not yet filed the 2017-18 FAFSA, you may see your merit-based scholarships in your aid award, but not your need-based grants or loans. File your 2017-18 FAFSA as soon as possible to ensure that you are eligible for all elements of your financial aid award. 
  • Aid Eligibility: Your eligibility for most grant, scholarship, and loan programs is limited to a certain number of semesters (typically, 8 for students who entered as freshmen, and 6 for students who entered as transfers). If you have exceeded the maximum number of semesters, you may see certain elements of your aid award not renewed. 

How is the Parent PLUS Loan applied to my bill?

The Parent PLUS Loan is disbursed 50% in the Fall semester and 50% in the Spring semester. If you have been approved for a Parent PLUS Loan, it may take 3-5 business days for it to be processed and applied to your student account. For more information on Parent PLUS loans, visit the Federal Student Aid website.


How do I change the housing preference indicated on my FAFSA?

To change your housing preference from on-campus to off-campus, submit a 2017-18 Undergraduate Financial Aid Revision Request Form to the Financial Aid Office. Your request will be processed within 7-10 business days. Note that changes in housing preferences may not result in a change to your financial aid award, as the on-campus and off-campus cost of attendance figures are different by less than $1,000.

What if I am receiving an outside scholarship?

If you expect to receive outside scholarships or other resources not already reflected in your aid award, follow these steps to ensure that these resources are accurately reflected in your bill:

  • Notify the LMU Financial Aid Office by phone (310.338.2753) or email (
  • Notify the agency or organization providing the scholarship and:
    • Request that they send your scholarship check(s) as soon as possible. Check(s) should be payable to Loyola Marymount University. Please ensure that your full name and LMU student ID is written on the check. Mail the check to: Financial Aid Office, Loyola Marymount University. 1 LMU Drive, Suite 270. Los Angeles, California 90045-2659.
    • If you received the check directly from the agency and it is payable to LMU, ensure that your full name and LMU Student ID appears on the check. Deliver the check in person to the Financial Aid Office or mail to: Financial Aid Office, 
Loyola Marymount University. 
1 LMU Drive, Suite 200. 
Los Angeles, California 90045-2659.

Why aren't my Tuition Remission benefits appearing on my bill? 

Please contact LMU Human Resources to make sure all requirements are complete. Tuition Remission benefits are considered a "Resource" when determining eligibility for federal, state and other university funded sources of financial aid. If you are a participant in a tuition program that will cover part of your LMU tuition, you must notify the Financial Aid Office to ensure this resource is coordinated with other financial aid according to federal, state, and university policies.

Can I appeal my 2017-18 Financial Aid Award? 

Students always have the option to appeal one or more elements of their financial aid award. More information on forms, requirements, and timelines for appeals can be found at the Appeals section of the Financial Aid website.